Wednesday 11 February 2015

Book Review: Black Lies by Alessandra Torre




Wow. What can I say! I was hooked from the start. Black Lies by Alessandra Torre is a messed up, brilliantly written story. It's a love story but not like any other love story. It is powerful, raw with enough suspense woven in with a cocktail of lies, secrets, and adultery.

Brant: Became a tech billionaire by his twentieth birthday. Has been in a relationship with me for 3 years. Has proposed 4 times. Been rejected 4 times. 
Lee: Cuts grass when he's not banging housewives. Good with his hands, his mouth, and his body. Has been pursued relentlessly by me for almost 2 years, whether he knows it or not. 
Go ahead. Judge me. You have no idea what my love entails. 
If you think you've heard this story before, trust me - you haven't.

This book came highly recommended. It also came with a warning - keep and open mind and trust the Author. I was also told that once I had read it, I would want to re-read it as this story will leave me stunned. Well, not only was I stunned, I was speechless. It was unlike any other and yes, I have not heard this story before. 

This well-crafted story had me forgetting the list of chores along with everything else. I just could not put it down. Like any superbly written book, it made me think, question and feel the emotions that the characters were going through. I JUST had to know what the secret was. I also needed to understand how an earth could this woman, who is deeply in love with one man, cheat on him with another? What is wrong with her and most importantly what is this secret?

There is a twist. One that is cleverly set-up.  As the pages fly by, the truth is gradually and very brilliantly revealed.The layers of deception and lies come together to showcase the lengths a person, a very smart person, will go through and endure. By putting things in motion, you can only hope that the gamble pays off ensuring that the sacrifices and decisions made irrespective of any moral code of conduct is justified to keep and protect the love they have for each other.

I have not read any of Alessandra Torre's prior work. Needless to say, I will be on the look out for her work as she was a total genius in her writing of Black Lies.

Rating: 5 stars